w w w . h a a r e t z . c o m

Last update - 03:06 06/08/2006

Mother, two daughters killed in rocket strike on Bedouin village

A woman and her two daughters were killed when their home suffered a direct hit in a Katyusha rocket strike on the Bedouin village of Arab al-Aramshe, in the Western Galilee near the northern border, on Saturday.

The fatalities were identified as Fadiya Juma'a, 60, and her daughters Sultana, 31, and Samira, 33.

Hezbollah fired 170 Katyusha rockets across northern Israel on Saturday afternoon, 130 of which landed between 4 P.M. and 5 P.M.

An Israel Defense Forces soldier sustained serious wounds when a rocket hit an army base near the northern border.

Some 40 rockets landed in Kiryat Shmona, one of which hit a factory. Some 17 rockets landed around Safed, four hit in the vicinity of Carmiel, 15 landed near Nahariya, 14 hit the Golan Heights, 19 landed in Ma'alot, four landed in Acre and one landed in Rosh Pina.

The village of Maghar, Tiberias, Ma'alot, Shlomi, and Rosh Hanikra were also hit in Saturday's barrage. Some of the rockets hit homes and damaged infrastructure.

Also Saturday, two IDF soldiers were killed in clashes with Hezbollah in Lebanon, and France and the U.S. came up with a draft United Nations cease-fire resolution.

The IDF said Saturday night that Hezbollah has fired more than 3,000 rockets at northern Israel since fighting began on July 12.

One woman died of a heart attack and six others were lightly injured after Katyusha rockets landed in the Haifa region. Ten people were treated for shock.

Frida Kellner, an 87-year-old resident of Kiryat Ata who took cover in a bomb shelter during the rocket strikes, suffered a heart attack after requesting to return to her home. She was evacuated to Rambam Medical Center in Haifa, where she was later pronounced dead.

Local police say a home in the area was burning after it took a direct hit. Several cars were also damaged, police said.

Another missile slammed into the yard of a house, causing heavy damage. A number of vehicles nearby as well as an adjacent open field caught fire. The blaze was subsequently extinguished by fire authorities.

A fire station in the Haifa suburbs sustained light structural damage after a missile hit within its vicinity. Firefighters who had already left the station upon hearing of the missile strikes earlier were not injured.

Authorities search for remnants of missiles fired at Hadera
Authorities in Hadera and Zichron Yaakov resumed searching Saturday for remnants of long-range missiles fired from southern Lebanon.

Hezbollah on Friday struck deeper inside Israel than ever before, firing missiles which struck open fields near the town of Hadera, 75 kilometers (50 miles) south of the Lebanese border, police said. No injuries were reported.

Medical crews rushed two people to Hillel Yaffeh Medical Center in the city, where they were treated for shock.

As a result of the strike, the Israel Defense Forces Homefront Command renewed its safety instructions for residents of towns south of Haifa in the event of further missile attacks.

Hezbollah released a statement late Friday claiming to have fired its "Khaibar 1" missiles at Hadera, a weapon similar to the one used against Afula last week.

Police Northern Command chief Major General Dan Ronen confirmed that at least one missile struck the Hadera region, marking the southernmost point that was hit by Hezbollah missile fire since the start of fighting with Israel three weeks prior.

Local police dispatchers received dozens of calls from alarmed residents who reported hearing a loud explosion. The callers asked if the cause of the blast was missile fire.

Ronen said the missiles carry a heavy payload of dozens of kilograms of explosives. Thus, echoes of the blast could be heard from afar.

A short time later, the IDF announced that the air force struck a target which appeared to be the missile launcher thought to have fired the "Khaibar 1" at Hadera.

After the strike, a number of smaller explosions were noticed at the scene, indicating that the area was scattered with explosive material.

Earlier Friday, three people were killed and 29 wounded, including one critically and three seriously, as Hezbollah fired more than 200 Katyusha rockets into northern Israel throughout the day.

Manal Azzam, a 27-year-old mother of two, was killed in the mixed Druze-Muslim-Christian village of Maghar in the Lower Galilee, near Tiberias, when a rocket hit an adjacent apartment. Her children sustained light wounds, and two Maghar residents sustained serious wounds in the strike. Azzam was laid to rest Friday at 7 P.M.

Two people were killed and several others were wounded when a rocket hit a restaurant in the Druze village of Majdal Krum.

Police en route to the scene of the damage in Majdal Krum encountered difficulty in reaching the wounded due to the swelling crowd of people nearby.

A resident of Sh'ar Yeshuv, adjacent to Kiryat Shmona, was critically wounded in a rocket strike Friday. One person sustained serious wounds when a Katyusha struck the village of Arab village of Bu'aineh, near Majdal Krum.

In Kiryat Shmona, where close to 60 rockets landed Friday, two people were moderately injured; three people were lightly wounded in Horfesh, and one person was lightly wounded in Safed.

In a barrage of rockets fired at Migdal Ha'emek, three people sustained injuries - one moderately and two suffered light wounds.

Friday's fatalities bring the number of people killed in Katyusha strikes since July 12 to 30.

According to the police, Hezbollah has fired 2,500 rockets at Israel in recent weeks.

Close to 200 Katyusha rockets struck towns all across the north Friday, the worst blow being the approximately 60 rockets which hit Kiryat Shmona. In the coastal town of Nahariya, 32 rockets were reported to have landed, 14 rockets slammed into Ma'alot, Safed absorbed six rockets, the Tiberias region was hit by close to 10 rockets, and three rockets were reported to have struck the Carmiel region.

A torrent of rockets were fired in the direction of the Golan Heights on Friday, some of which landed in Quneitra, a town on the Syrian side of the border.

IDF Brigadier-General Shuki Shihrur of the Northern Command told reporters Friday that the Katyusha strike on Syrian Quneitra is a cynical attempt by Hezbollah to drag Damascus into the conflict.

Earlier on Friday two rockets hit open areas near Kiryat Shmona, causing no casualties.

In Thursday's attacks four people were killed when a rocket crashed directly into a house near the northern town of Ma'alot, and another four were killed when a rocket exploded near their vehicle in Acre.

Rocket fire on Thursday seriously wounded four people and moderately wounded two in strikes on Acre, Hurfeish and Kiryat Shmona. At least 30 people were lightly wounded in the attacks.

Shimon Zaribi, 44, and Albert ben Abu, 41, both of Acre, were killed in the rocket attack on their hometown. Sinati Sinati, Amir Naeem and Mohammed Fouad, all 17-year-old residents of the village of Tarshiha, were killed in the attack near Ma'alot.

Also Thursday, four Israel Defense Forces soldiers were killed and two others were seriously wounded in heavy fighting with Hezbollah guerrillas in south Lebanon.

The Prime Minister's Office said the government would put an end to rocket attacks by continuing to fight Hezbollah.

"The Israeli government, along with the Israeli people are fully determined to break this Hezbollah threat and to restore quiet to Israel's north. We will seek and pursue Hezbollah without relenting and we will put an end to these murderous attacks," said David Baker, an official in the PMO.

A total of 160 rockets were fired by late afternoon Thursday, 130 of which fell between the hours of 4 P.M. and 5 P.M. Hardest hit were the towns of Nahariya, Ma'alot and Kiryat Shmona. Rockets also landed in Haifa, the Golan Heights, Rosh Pina and Safed.

More than 2,050 rockets have been fired at Israel from Lebanon during the current conflict, killing 27 civilians.

Hezbollah fired at least 30 rockets across the north on Thursday morning, striking Kiryat Shmona, Haifa, the Ma'alot area and the Golan Heights.

Rocket alert sirens were triggered in cities and other communities across northern Israel in mid-morning and early afternoon.

Eight rockets hit the Ma'alot area before dawn Thursday in the first nighttime Hezbollah rockets attack on Israel. Three rockets scored direct hits on homes in the northern town, causing severe damage.

On Wednesday, after two days almost no Hezbollah rocket strikes at Israel, some 210 rockets and missiles were launched on Wednesday toward northern communities - the largest number since the beginning of the fighting.

Dave Lalchuk, 52, of Kibbutz Sa'ar, was killed and 16 others were wounded, three moderately, in the attacks.

Long-range rockets and missiles also fell in the Palestinian Authority between Jenin and Beit She'an and in the area of Afula.

Yoav Stern, Amiram Barkat, Amos Harel, Jack Khoury, Eli Ashkenazi, and Ran Reznick contributed to this story.

This article can also be read at <http://www.haaretz.co.il/hasen/spages/746581.html>